Contact Us 24/7 for Fast and Reliable Plumbing Services

Ask John Electrical Smell Main Image
Ask John Electrical Smell Main Image

Why Do Plugs Keep Falling Out of The Outlet?

John Turpin is our resident home service repair expert here at Service Direct. He’s got the knowledge and experience to help homeowners like you make sense of most home repair issues. And with Service Direct, we connect you with top-tier service professionals to help with any repairs needed.

Find Out Where the Electrical Smell in Your Home Comes From

Have you smelled a strange electrical scent in your home? It’s a faint odor of burning plastic or metal, which sometimes come with a more intense smell of smoke or fire. If this sounds familiar, it is not something you should ignore.

If there’s an electrical smell in your home, it could mean a serious problem with your wiring, circuits, or appliances. Not addressing them promptly can lead to electrical shocks, health hazards, or fires. Well, we’re here to help you out.

In this article, we will explain some of the possible causes of the electrical burning smell in your house and what you should do about them. Don’t panic and let’s just delve into the potential sources of the electrical smell that’s been worrying you.

Ask John Light Circuit Burning
Review John’s list of common symptoms and causes of electrical smells in your home.

Potential Sources of the Electrical Smell in Your Home

Wondering what’s been causing the smell of burning wires in your house? Maybe one of the following could be why:

Electrical Devices or Appliances

Maybe the electrical smell in your house is due to malfunctioning components of an appliance. If internal components, like the motor or heating element, are faulty, they can overheat and emit a burning smell.

If not them, another possible reason is worn-out wiring. Over time, the wiring within appliances becomes damaged or frayed. This issue can lead to overheating and the burning smell is an associated symptom of this.

Electrical Outlets and Wiring

Something could be wrong with your electrical outlets and wiring. Loose connections of outlets or inside the electrical boxes can create resistance. These can result in heat buildup and the characteristic electrical smell in the house.

Another possible reason is arcing, which occurs when electricity jumps across a gap due to damaged insulation or poor connections. Arcing produces not only an electrical burning smell but also a popping or crackling sound.

If not loose connections or arcing, it could be exposed or frayed wires. These can spark and lead to overheating that, as mentioned, can emit a distinct burning smell. Be sure to inspect your home when you suspect any of the above potential sources.

Electrical Panels and Circuit Breakers

If you have an overloaded circuit, it can generate excess heat within the electrical panels and its components. This can produce the tell-tale electrical smell in your home. On the other hand, worn-out or malfunctioning circuit breakers can cause overheating or arcing within the panel. As we said before, these too can produce an electric burning smell.

Our resident home repair guru, John Turpin, discusses the common origins and causes of electrical smells in the household including, some DIY suggestions on how to deal with them.

HVAC System

If there’s an electrical smell in your home, one of the places it could originate from is the HVAC system. The system’s blower motor may have malfunctioned, causing it to overheat and emit a burnt odor as it struggles to circulate air properly.

The electric burning smell could also be due to faulty wiring or controls. The same with appliances and light fixtures, the electrical controls or components within the HVAC system can overheat and cause an electrical smell.

Light Fixtures

Faulty wiring within light fixtures could be where the electrical smell in your home is coming from. The light fixtures may have poor connections or exposed wires, leading to overheating and the associated burning smell.

Another possible cause of the electricity smell in the house is bulb problems. Incandescent bulbs can become extremely hot during operation. If they are too close to wiring or insulation, they can lead to an electrical odor.

Power Strips and Surge Protectors

Plugging too many devices into a power strip or using a damaged surge protector can lead to overheating, which, of course, can cause an electrical smell. The power strip or surge protector can also short circuit, leading them to arcing and a burning odor.

New Appliances or Equipment

Some new electronic equipment or appliances might emit a mild electrical smell during initial use. Often, this is manufacturing residue that eventually burns off. After which, the electrical smell should dissipate as well.

Burning Dust

Heating systems, like a furnace or baseboard heaters, accumulate dust after a period of disuse. When you turn it on, the dust buildup on the heating elements can burn off and create a temporary electrical smell wafting around your home.

Electrical Fire

In rare cases, the electrical smell in your home may actually indicate an electrical fire. This is a critical situation that requires your immediate action. When you find yourself in this situation, quickly turn off the power, evacuate the area, and contact emergency services.

Ask John Electrical Fire
There are many causes of electrical smells, fire being one of the most obvious origins.

What to Do If You Notice an Electrical Smell in Your Home

If you detect an electrical smell in your home, you must take it seriously and investigate the source. Here are some steps you can take to ensure the burning smell doesn’t escalate to more serious problems:

1. Safety First

If you suspect an electrical issue, prioritize your safety. Turn off the power to the affected area or the entire house if necessary.

2. Locate the Source of the Smell

Try to pinpoint where exactly the electrical smell is coming from. Look for signs of overheating such as smoke, melting, sparks, or discoloration. Inspect appliances, and check outlets and wiring.

3. Contact an Electrician

If you can’t identify the source of the electrical smell or if you’re concerned about what you find, it’s best to contact a professional electrician to assess and address the problem.

4. Ventilate the House

Once you’ve turned the power off and called an electrician, open your doors and windows to clear out any lingering burning smells. You may also use air purifiers or fans to circulate the air inside and remove any harmful particles still in the air.

An electrical smell in your home isn’t something to take lightly. It’s often a sign of a more serious problem, like a fire. As soon as you notice the smell, you should act promptly and follow the steps we mentioned above to ensure your home stays safe and comfortable.

Ask John Electrical Smell Ventillation
When it is safe to stay in the home, open a window to ventilate out the bad smell.

Electrical Smell FAQs

What do I do if I can’t find the source of the smell?

If you can’t locate the source of the electrical smell in your home, you must seek professional assistance. Call an electrician to perform a thorough inspection to identify the problem and resolve it as well.

How can I prevent electrical smells in the future?

Regular maintenance of your electrical system, using appliances within their capacity, avoiding overloading circuits, and addressing any electrical issues promptly are things you can do to prevent future electrical smells. It’s also a good idea to have a reliable electrician on your speed dial.

Is it safe to use switches or power outlets emitting an electrical smell?

No, it’s not safe to use switches or outlets if they have an electrical burning smell. Discontinue use immediately and call a professional electrician to inspect and repair the issue before it can lead to more serious problems.

Should I use air fresheners to mask the electrical smell?

We don’t recommend using air fresheners to mask the electrical smell. It’s crucial to address the underlying issue of the smell rather than masking it. If you ignore the odor, it could lead to safety hazards like fire.

Should I be concerned about a faint electrical odor that I only smell occasionally?

Faint smells might not always mean major problems. However, it’s still a good idea to investigate and find the source. It could be a sign of a minor issue, but if left untreated, it could worsen and become a bigger problem in the future.

Hire a Local Electrical Pro

The methods above are effective DIY tips to investigate, diagnose, and ameliorate an electrical smell. But if you need professional help, then don’t hesitate to contact a local electrical expert using the phone number or form on this page.

Get a Quote

Let’s connect you to a top-tier local service professional

Contact Us Today for a Quote

or Call (844) 955-4366

Thank You!

Your project has been sent to a top-tier local service provider who’ll be in touch soon to take the next steps.

or Call (844) 955-4366